Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowships
For students applying to, or registered in, a doctoral program in the social sciences or humanities. SSHRC offers two doctoral awards, valued respectively at $20,000 per year for one to four years, and $35,000 for three years. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible. The internal departmental deadline is in the early fall.
Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Master’s Scholarship (CGS-M)
For students applying to, or registered in, a master’s program in the social sciences or humanities. The CGS-M is valued at $17,500 for one year. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible. Deadline: December 1.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
For students applying to, or registered in, an MA or PhD program in Ontario. The OGS is valued at $15,000 for one year; MA and PhD students, both domestic and international, are eligible. Deadline: March 15
Arts & Science Scholarships
A number of scholarships are available through the Faculty of Arts of Science:
- Chizuru Suzuki Memorial Scholarship in Japanese Literature and Japanese Studies
- Okamatsu Japanese Book Award
- Reverend Doctor James Scarth Gale Scholarship in East Asian Studies
- Ting Fang Chung Scholarship
- EAS Graduate Research Scholarship
- Vincent Shen Memorial Scholarship in Chinese Thought and Culture (please note the different deadline: March 15)
- Vivienne Poy Chancellor’s Fellowship (please note the different deadline: March 14)
Deadline of Arts & Science scholarships: April 1 of each year.
School of Graduate Studies (SGS) University-Wide Awards
SGS University-Wide Awards are due on May 1 of each year.
- Dr. David Chu Scholarships in Asia Pacific Studies
- SGS Research Travel Grant
- PLF Research Travel Fellowship (doctoral students in the funded cohort)
- Julia Ching Memorial Fellowship in Chinese Thought and Culture
Doctoral Completion Award
The Doctoral Completion Award (DCA) is available to students who are no longer within the funded cohort but within the time limit of their degrees. EAS DCA policies describe how the department adjudicates the award.
DCA application forms are due on April 1 of each year.
Additional External Scholarships
The School of Graduate Studies provides information about external scholarships for which EAS graduate students are encouraged to apply. Students are encouraged to visit SGS’s Financial Support webpage as well as Enrolment Services Finances and Awards Explorer.
The department’s Scholarship Committee (comprised of the Chair; Associate Chair, Graduate; and Associate Chair, Undergraduate) adjudicates application decisions that are made at the departmental level (e.g. the Arts & Science scholarships, the Doctoral Completion Award) and also ranks applications for competitions such as the OGS and SSHRC. Admissions awards, including the Connaught Fellowships, are adjudicated by the EAS admissions committee.
2021-2022 Important Dates & Deadlines
- October 6, 2022 – Doctoral SSHRC (internal deadline; applications submitted online)
- December 1, 2022 – Master's CGS-M SSHRC
- December 1, 2022 – EAS Graduate Conference Grant
- March 15, 2023 – OGS (internal deadline; applications submitted online)
- March 15, 2023 – Vincent Shen Memorial Scholarship, Dr. David Chu Scholarships in Asia Pacific Studies & Vivienne Poy Chancellor's Fellowship
- April 1, 2023 – Arts & Science Awards
- April 1, 2023 – Doctoral Completion Award
- May 1, 2023 – SGS University-wide Awards