Learning & Safety Abroad

Learning Abroad

EAS students have access to a wide range of learning abroad opportunities through the Centre for International Experience. Many EAS students take advantage of these opportunities to immerse themselves in East Asian cultures and to accelerate their language learning.

Registering with the Study Abroad Office

All graduate students who are travelling abroad while registered in an EAS program in order to conduct research or pursue their studies in any way must register with the Safety Abroad Office (SAO) one month prior to travel (conferences included)such travel is considered “Department Travel.” Instructions on how to register with the SAO are below.

The Safety Abroad Office (SAO) is a service available to U of T students who travel abroad for a university activity. They partner with students, staff, and faculty to minimize risk by:

  • Providing Safety Abroad Workshops
  • Monitoring security situations
  • Assisting students with emergencies abroad
  • Offering 24/hr Emergency line

If you are going abroad on a “university activity,” then you will have to register with the Safety Abroad Office before you travel. A university activity is defined as any of the following:

  • Activity that is funded in part or in whole by the university
  • Activity that is organized, sanctioned, or administered by the university
  • Activity which provides participants with academic credit

Please read the information below from the Safety Abroad Office's website:

The University of Toronto has extended the suspension of all outbound U of T student activities outside of Canada to April 30, 2021 due to the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 global pandemic. Please refer to the VP Students COVID-19 FAQ page for the latest updates and frequently asked questions. For any updates related to travel, please consult the Safety Abroad Office's website.

All students must complete the following Safety Abroad requirements before travelling:

  • Review your destination’s Global Affairs Canada Travel Advisory
  • Complete the Safety Abroad pre-departure workshop
  • Secure appropriate and sufficient Travel Health Insurance
  • Add your trip to the Safety Abroad Registry

Read more about the Safety Abroad requirements. If you have questions, please email the Safety Abroad Office.